Pocketwizard sync cable with SB600 oddity.

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chmoran
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pocketwizard sync cable with SB600 oddity.
Dec 28, 2013

So after experimenting in off-camera flash with my SB600 using an optical trigger, I decided to take the plunge and picked up a pair of used PW Plus II's for cheap. Being that my SB600 doesn't have a pc sync port, I bought a new flash sync cable as well (the PW HSFM3). This is where it gets weird..
I hooked everything up this afternoon: one PW on my d600 in the hotshoe, the other attached to the SB600 with the sync cable. But the flash didn't work. The PW both seemed normal and the status lights were blinking normally (channels were the same), but when I pressed test or triggered the shutter nothing happened. I came back and tried again this evening, but still nothing. That is until I unlocked the SB600 from the sync cord hotshoe (but left it still attached). Then everything worked fine. For some reason it seems that the flash will only work when the SB600 is NOT locked to the hotshoe on the sync cable. When it is locked, the flash won't fire.

Playing around some more, when I put the sync cord with the flash locked into the Camera/Flash port on the off-camera PW (the one attached to the SB600), the PW transceiver shows a solid status LED. It seems that locking the flash onto the sync cord hotshoe causes some sort of constant trigger. I unlock the flash and the LED goes back to blinking normal.

Has anyone else seen a flash act like this? I'd appreciate any insight into what might be going on. I have tried searching around, but can't seem to find any other instances of this...
My set-up, for clarity:

D600 with PW Plus II and a Plus II attached to a SB600 with a PW Sync Cable

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow