Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
turboBB
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Video Review: DSTE Technology BG-E13 (EOS 6D) Battery Grip
8 months ago

I'm currently evaluating two cameras, the 6D and the D600 and had received the respective grips for review from DSTE after I had purchased their MB-D15 for the D7100 (which I've now sold).

DSTE BG-E13 Grip review

Review is detailed & lengthy but I have a TOC up so click on the indicated times for the section you might be interested in.

HIGHLIGHTS:

- Overall aesthetics matches the 6D pretty well with the exception that the faux rubber is a bit glossier

- Happy to see that the metal plate holding down the tripod mounting screw and gears is itself held down by actual screws (see Partial tear-down section @ 16:38)

- Almost no flexing when attached; the plastic section that is inserted within the battery compartment greatly minimizes flexing and adds a lot of support unlike on the Nikon grips which don't have this part

- Ability to store battery cover on the grip itself

- Overall quality is quite good but will see how it holds up in the long run

- The main negative points for me were:
*The On/Off button (that's a misnomer as it's really a lock switch) doesn't operate smoothly
*Shutter button feel wasn't quite right; I felt it was a little too easy to fully depress to take pic instead of focusing
*The command dial is purely plastic and not rubber coated and slightly loud during operation
*Some minor glue overrun visible in certain areas
*AA battery tray is a very tight fit with NiMh cells

I was initially concerned that the plastic used for the AA battery tray would be brittle in cold weather but it functioned flawlessly in my freezing weather testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD--WxVPrJU

I did encounter one glitch after the review in that I got a message that the OEM battery wasn't recognized (although the camera still function normally otherwise). Not sure what caused this since I couldn't reproduce the issue but I resolved it by removing the grip and reinstalling it again. Will post back in the future if I figure out how to reproduce this problem.

Bottom line is that @ ~$44 USD, I feel this represents solid value and a good option for those who might not want to splurge ~$250 on the OEM one. For full disclosure, I had purchased the MB-D15 but this one was provided by them for review.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB's gear list:turboBB's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow