Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SoxPadresFan
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
time to replace my 1DS-M2
8 months ago

I once considered myself an avid photographer. I went from a D60 to a 1DS-M2. I own a bunch of L glass (70-200 f2.8, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8) and I have a few others (50mm f1.4, 28-135 IS, a 1.4x extender, some sort of macro adapter that I used on top of the 70-200).

I stopped shooting as much about 4 years ago and then at some point the 1DS started having shutter issues (it was unreliable).  I was never motivated to deal with fixing it - so I have been shooting a lot of cell phone pictures for the last few years.

My boys are now 6 and 9 years old and I am eager to start taking some higher quality photos of them (playing sports, etc) and to do some travel photography again (urban and nature).  I also wouldn't mind dabbling a bit into video (and could have a use for this in my work).

I have poked my head into DPreview to try and figure out the next camera to buy and I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I know I can depend on some of you to give me some simple feedback.

I would like my old lenses to all work on the camera I buy (a little confused about the newer lenses and if I need to be considering that).  It is worth noting that my lenses have been sitting in a box for 3+ years.... I have no idea what that will have done to them.

While I loved the 1DS-M2, I have a feeling that a prosumer model would now be enough for me now.  Cost is always an issue, but I am a big believer in long-term value -- if a more expensive model lasts longer and is more durable and takes much better photos, then I would consider spending the money (I have a decent amount saved up for this purchase).  On the other side, if it is a lot more to just get features that I will rarely need/use - I would rather spend the money on lenses, airfare, etc).

Portability always seems questionable when you are talking about the lenses I have, but there were definitely times that I wished the 1DS-M2 could have had a detachable grip like the D60 - for fitting in bags and/or just calling attention to myself.

Finally - the use would likely be for family photos and good travel photos.  And as I mentioned above, I have very little experience with video (none on a DSLR), but would definitely love to dabble in this a bit of it makes sense.

Any help you can all give me would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow