Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,282Gear list
Like?
Alpha 7r as a D800 replacement
7 months ago

I really am thinking of making changes in my gear and have posted a thread in the micro four thiirds forum. Due to a reply I gave the Sony RX10 a look and ordered the camera, this will be my beach/theme park vacation camera and general walk around keep with me at all times camera.

I own the Nikon D800 and D7100 (I think all my gear is listed in my gear profile). I probably make less than three grand a year doing portraits, sports, and on occasion a wedding. For sports the D7100 is a pretty good camera along with my 70-200 2.8 Nikon lens, so for practical reasons I am more inclined to keep the D7100 and am thinking about replacing my D800 with the Alpha 7r (36 megapixel model). I really like the Nikon flash system, like it much better than the Canon system which I once owned. I may end up getting the Nikon 16-80 for events and can use my 35-70 2.8 for portraits and weddings. I will sell my 24-120 and 16-35, hopefully finding a wide alternative for the 7r.

I mainly am thinking of the Sony because of the weight when hiking. I have been reading reviews and the image quality should compare with the D800. I would love to use it for weddings but it seems like I may have more trouble focusing in low light, even with flash. I have no idea what flash options are available and it is kind of confusing when looking at lenses, I think I need to be extra careful because of compatability issues.

I would love one good general purpose lens for the Alpha and one wide prime or zoom for landscapes. I know I can adapt my Nikon lenses and I am thinking my old 35-70 could work very well on the 7r, am I correct in assuming I would only be able to manually focus this lens, which may not be an issue for landscapes. It is a smaller lens then most of my other Nikon mid range zooms and is a very sharp lens.

I guess one drawback is not many lenses available for the 7r, but there will be more introduced this year. I probably will not do anything until late summer anyway and I will be glued to this forum if this is the correct forum for that camera. If this is the correct forum, and it appears it is, I will have a lot of ciompatability questions, especially when it comes to flashes. I am hoping there is a Sony flash that will work on both the RX10 and Alpha 7r. I know it will be an adjustment handling a much smaller camera so hopefully I can find one I can touch and feel.

I think it will be very interesting in seeing what Sony will be doing in the next couple of years. It would be great so have another company that can go head to head with Nikon and Canon in all areas. I do not think Sony has a good sports alternative yet but could be wrong. I would love to enventually replace all my gear with much lighter alternatives without sacrificing quality.

Gary

PS: I am still considering a MFT option, the NEX7 is interesting to me. Am I correct is assuming the Alpha 7r uses the 3:2 format and not 4:3?

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow