Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RedStains
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Lens recommendation for D7100
Dec 28, 2013

Just upgraded from D200 to D7100.  It's amazing, but I feel like my lenses are going to start holding me back a bit.  I currently have:

Nikon 18-200

Nikon 35mm 1.8

Promaster 12-24

Obviously the 18-200 is a great range and it's fantastic for walking around a new city during the day or for hiking in the mountains.  However, the speed leaves something to be desired.  I am starting to get a few jobs doing engagement portraits / family portraits, and am going to be assisting a pro with some weddings in 2014.  That being said, the 18-200 just isn't going to cut it as far as IQ and bokeh. Unfortunately budget is an issue.

I am willing to sell the 18-200 (probably $350 - $400?) to help finance a new mid-range zoom walk around.  I could maybe spend another $200 on the upgrade.  That leaves me well short of something like the 24-70, but does give me some options.

Weight and size are not big issues for me.  It comes down to IQ and price.  I would prefer a non-DX lens so that if I upgrade to an FX in 3-5 years, I wont have to completely start over with new lenses.  This is not a deal breaker, however.  I do understand that I could always sell my DX lenses if and when I upgrade to FX.

Here are some options that I have looked into already:

Nikon 35-70 2.8 (lacks wide end range, but IQ is supposedly great)

Sigma 17-70 2.8 - 4 (not fixed at 2.8 and is DX)

Sigma 17-50 2.8 (super fast, sharp, but DX)

Tamron 17-50 2.8 (same as above)

Any advise or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nikon D200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow