Started Dec 20, 2013 | Questions thread
boogisha
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Re: read your manual.
In reply to RedFox88, Dec 28, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

trickycam wrote:

Hi I have the canon G16 but every time I record in 60fps on a 64g card it shuts Down after every 15 to 16 minutes, I just want to none stop recording until the card is full, or I stop and start it, how can I do this. Can't see any setting! To set this !

Any help please

Please read your user manual, probably supplied on PDF. In there is likely states a maximum recording time length or file size which may be 4 or 5 GB. It may be a mechanism to prevent it from being listed technically as a video camera.

From G16 manual:

"Recording will automatically stop when the clip file size reaches 4 GB, or when the recording time reaches approximately 29 minutes and 59 seconds when shooting in [FHD 60P], [FHD 30P] or [HD 30P], or approximately 1 hour when shooting in [VGA 30P]."

"Recording may stop even if the maximum clip length has not been reached on some memory cards. SD Speed Class 6 or higher memory cards are recommended."

From what you described, I`d say your problem is the clip file size, as [FHD 60P] takes around 16 minutes to reach that 4 GB limit. It`s the same with my S120, and you can read about some tests I did here.

p.s. 29' 59" limit is there to lower taxes in Europe (not to be considered a camcorder), while 4 GB file size limit is imposed by FAT32 file system used (again, might be to avoid paying the license for using NTFS instead). Still, not sure why don`t they just make it continue recording into a separate file once the file reaches 4 GB, as some cameras do, and it would be very easy later to join all these files on the computer...

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow