Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
Christmas buying help
Dec 28, 2013

I have a slight but good problem. I received a b&h gift card for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. There are a few bits of gear I had in mind for my next purchases, but I'm having trouble deciding.

1. I need a flash. I've used the HVL-F58AM before but was thinking of starting with the F43AM (mainly for the greater range of power setting, 16mm zoom, and moisture sealing). However they don't have any of these used (they don't sell these new anymore of course), but they do have the F43AM within my budget.

2. I was looking at getting a timer remote to be used to trigger the shutter and do time lapse/long exposures/star trails. I was thinking either the Vello wireless shutter boss or hahnel Giga T Pro II, but I'm not sure which. They both seem to do the same thing except the Giga T also lets you do a program loop inside another loop.

3. I could save up a bit more and get the 85mm f/2.8 SAM new or wait for a used one to pop up. Right now I don't have anything over 50mm that is faster than f/4 (beercan).

4. I have a tripod, but it's not very good. I was looking at the Manfrotto 190XPROL with 804RC2 pan/tilt head. I was thinking a pan/tilt would be better if I also wanted to use it for video.

I do mostly hand held shooting, so I figured a flash or lens would be the more useful things to get at this point. But I also like doing long exposure stuff which the remote or tripod would be more useful for. My max budget is about $200-250 and it would have to be available at B&H. Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow