Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,329Gear list
Like?
More & More Pleased With The GX7
8 months ago

I've only had my black GX7 and the 20/1.7 II for a short time, but I've now had two significant outings with it and I've become more and more pleased with it.

First outing was taking hand-held images of Point Defiance Zoo lights (Tacoma, WA) under challenging lighting conditions and the GX7 + 20/1.7 performed very very well with my inexperience with the camera and lens being the issue with not getting more than 50% keepers.  Very happy with the high ISO noise (ISO 1600) compared to my GH2.  Shot the 20/1.7 mostly wide open with electronic shutter (when not using the built-in flash for fill) and when the focus was nailed the results were very very good.

Second outing was with the 75/1.8 and this combo is excellent for close-crop candid portraits.  1/80 sec hand held with IBIS produced very sharp shots at ISO 1600 with very manageable noise.  I especially liked holding the GX7 in portrait mode with the 75/1.8.

I'm also happy with AUTO ISO (except in M mode! - please fix this Panasonic!) and AWB.  Though I shoot RAW + JPG the JPGs out of the camera are actually quite good.

Still learning the camera controls, but I'm quickly coming up to speed.

My only issue is the small grip and trying to figure out the best way to hold the camera, but that's what you get when you want a small camera to lug around - I'm sure I'll figure out something that works for me.  Perhaps someone will produce an add-on grip that will help out in this regard.

I wanted a small camera system with very good IQ to compliment my big FX D800-based system and I think I got it.  I just need to fill out my m43 lenses a bit and I'll be all set (until the GX8 comes out at least).

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow