Wide Open Challenge - can you tell which lens?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Wide Open Challenge - can you tell which lens?
10 months ago

I recently purchased a 135L and I love it. It is razor sharp.  It is discrete compared to any of the big white options.  The f2 allows great photos in darker conditions.  I shoot a lot of plays, and recitals where the light isn't great.  I was a little disappointed though by the amount of bokeh in a 3/4 length portrait.  I had rented this lens a couple of times, and never looked at this aspect of it.  So this got me thinking about the lenses that I have and what they were capable of wide open.

I setup a 580EXII in a softbox and used a reflector. Put it all in front of a Christmas tree, and asked my fidgety son to stand as still as he could for 5 minutes.  I raced through lens changes and tried to keep the field of view the same.  Roughly the top of his head and the top of the lettering on his sweatshirt.  It isn't 3/4 length, but it was easier to get a similar image.

I also have a 50mm 1.4, 85 1.8,  a 24-70 2.8L, and a 70-200 f4L.

Here are the photos:

1. Look through them and figure out which has your favorite "look".  Bokeh, DOF, Compresion, Color, Contrast, etc...

2. See if you can you guess which ones are which?

3. Is the one you like the best the one you thought you would like the most?

4. Share your guesses and opinions.

Photo 1.

Photo 2.

Photo 3.

Photo 4.

Photo 5.

I know this isn't a perfect test, but it is real world.  My sons photos aren't great, technically they are a pretty good representative of what each lens can do in a normal situation.  I have seen each produce similar results countless times.

I am hoping this is a challenge and a little bit of fun.  Also people who are interested in creating this type of photo can use the information learned here to help them plan their next photo.

Here is a little blank answer key to cut and paste into your response if you want to use it.

My favorite look is photo#

Why is it my favorite look?

The 24-70 2.8L is photo#

The 50mm 1.4 Lens is photo#

The 70-200 f4L is photo#

The 135L is photo#

The 85mm 1.8 is Photo#

Thanks for commenting.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow