Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,238Gear list
Like?
S110 can be better than a DSLR
7 months ago

Every year, on Christmas day, I volunteer my photography skills to shoot real volunteers serving food at homeless shelters (a couple of hours of my time while they give most of their day) - these photos go up on the organizations Web site and help encourage volunteers for future years. I always take a current DSLR (a 7D for the last few years) and a pocket camera. Early on, while they are preparing the food and preparing to serve, I'll use the 7D because it can take better images. But once the "clients" arrive the DSLR has to go away - it bothers too many people (including the staff) who worry about violations of privacy. They have fewer worries when I take out the S110, plus this is less noticeable to the shelter staff. I can shoot away with the S110 and take shots when doing the same with the 7D could get me in trouble. I am very careful to make sure that none of the clients are recognizable in the shots - and in rare instance where they are in a shot I want to use I selectively blur their faces in post processing.

Three of my shots from this year will be used by a local newspaper - two were from the S110 and only one was from the 7D. The best camera is one you can use, not the one that can take the best images!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot S110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow