Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,151
Like?
A7 ergonomics in use
9 months ago

Some suggestions for better ergonomics on the A7r - from a trial.

The hump has been dealt with - good and bad from where one sits ((no opinion expressed here) but I might wonder about the "dslr-look" hump combined with a RF positioned shutter button. The NEX6 has a much better postioned shutter botton. Maybe the front dial and shutter button positions can be exchanged?

There is a somewhat silly little ledge above the lcd that makes the buttons hard to access - menu - C2 - back wheel. I can see no logical reason for this other than the location/shape of the evf and surely this could be worked around?

The front and back wheels are (necessarily?) a bit ratchety and their location tends to make the user run a finger along the edge of the wheels rather than on the wheel flats. The larger the fingers the more this must be accentuated. (Mine are quite small and I felt this uncomfortable). The function keys are scattered all over the place in a seemingly illogical manner. But I guess we can just get used to this and being in an illogical layout means that there is less likelihood of pushing the wrong button in a neatly arrayed line of similar buttons. Which means that the traditonal big round rough ratcheting EV control wheel - a great thing for traditionalists needs to be viewed from above (chimping?) but then the EV is shown on the screen or lcd. This begs the question of why so much valuable real estate space is used to provide this (perhaps anachronistic) lump of a wheel when a simple little rocker lever would be neater and provide more direct and visual control on the screeens alone. Such space freed up might be used to better locate the function buttons.

Not a criticism of the camera performance - it does work very well.

Despite some effort I could not figure out how to set up a custom mode although I could find the factory default settings. I guess a good read of the manual would help - it certainly was not an intuitive exercise.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow