Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Any E-M1 opinions from Sony SLT owners?
4 months ago

Hello - I'm starting to think about making a change from my Sony A65, and would appreciate any thoughts from Sony SLT owners who have tried the E-M1. I'm particularly curious about relative AF performance and quality at ISO 800-3200, as my typical subjects (ages 1 amd 3) don't sit still very well!

By way of background, I'm an ex-Oly shooter (E510 and E620) who left 4/3 due to the lack of development and the percieved high ISO benefits of APS-C. I was miffed at Oly a couple years back, but the new camera and 12-40 Pro may be enough to woo me back...  (and my Zuiko 50mm macro delivered some of my favorite portrait shots ever).  While I love several things about my A65 and 16-50 f/2.8 (which is my primary combo), I am having trouble keeping my shutter speeds in the usable range while shooting indoors. I have young kids and dislike flash, so ISO400 doesn't cut it! Unfortunately, going over ISO 800 leads to fairly poor shots with my specific camera.  I could upgrade my glass to the new Sigma 16-35 f/1.8, but it isn't cheap and the zoom range is miniscule.  Plus, I am not perfectly confident that my AF accuracy will be sufficient for the DOF at 1.8.

The E-M1 has many very attractive qualities, including its size, ergonomics, VF, and IQ. I'm trying to get a sense of whether it would meet my needs.  I'm assuming that I would use the 12-40 and 40-150 Pro lenses, possibly supplemented by one of the fast primes in the 17-20mm range for when I want the most compact system possible.

So, am I barking up the right tree ,or setting myself up for disappointment?  Thanks in advance for any opinions!

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow