Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864Gear list
Like?
A7 MF faster than AF in poor light
11 months ago

I have been playing with my a7 in less than perfect light last two days. I just now return from an Alpha fan society meeting that convened in a dark pub.

a friend there wanted to try the A7 and pushed it to all manual control. It seems the camera works tons better in poor light with MF and all other things set to manual.

AF in poor light hunts, wastes few seconds to lock. Sometimes does not quite lock etc.

Go to MF the viewfinder and screen are crisp and detailed. Peeking and zooming work miracles. There is auto zoom with AF lenses like the 2.8/35. There is also distance indication in the viewfinder. Manual is just pleasure to use. In fact I now believe shooting all manual in poor light is not only helping get incrementally better IQ it actually helps you shot faster and get better pics.

Add that in all manual mode I tend to look carefully at much more details - white balance, exposure values etc.

May be this is just me being deeply disappointed with 1.8/55 being a bit slow to lock focus in poor light or  may be the way to shoot A7 is with all knobs turned to manual and on,y use the metering and focusing as aids to your own photographic skill. May be not so bad of a deal.

What are our observations. Would you turn to MF when the light goes dim?

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow