Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robochop
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Calibrating a New Laptop
7 months ago

Hi all, I really need some help and advice with my calibration as I'm pretty much a novice at it and something isn't working.

I recently got a new Dell XPS 15 laptop, which has been reviewed as having a near-sRGB screen, good colour accuracy, and has very good viewing angles; it's the only display I'll have for most of my photography, though for critical work I can access a decent monitor if necessary.

I calibrated the monitor with an X-Rite Colormunki Display. However the colours seem over saturated. Reds in particular are all saturated at relatively low levels, with disturbing effects on portrait photos. I tried processing a few images and they look ok on other computers, except somewhat lacking colour, as you would expect.

I looked at the www.lagom.nl contrast test page for colours, and all are ok except red and purple, which lose all gradation in the top end. This is true even though I opened the image file in Lightroom (just in case the browser was mis-interpreting the colours).

I found discussion online about the Intel HD Graphics driver potentially overriding the X-Rite profile so have now disabled the panel on start-up as recommended (though I think that's just a taskbar access rather than disabling any controls on the driver, so not convinced it's the culprit). However my solution to this saturation problem so far has been to tone down saturation (5%) on the Intel controls, which makes the lagom test image look fine.

So I suppose my question is, am I on the right track? Is there something else I should do? Should I doubt X-Rite or doubt my PC set-up? Any help would be very much appreciated, especially from anyone who's been through the same issues.

Many thanks,

RP.

ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow