Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Holiday Party, or Why I Shoot Fuji
4 months ago

I brought my XE2 with the 35mm to a holiday caroling party recently and I was very happy with the results. I also brought the XE1 with 14mm, but only took a group shot with it and the only shot from my X100S was one of me, when a friend picked it up. But I digress.

I was the only one shooting with a real camera at the party. All other shots were cell phone with flash. It was dark, we were all drinking, and the kids were hopped up on sugar. I kept the XE2 in my hand and shot all night, people singing, kids playing, etc. With a small camera, I could easily get on the floor with the kids and move around. The shots are all snapshots, but people like them. My shots from the night are the ones that parents are sharing around on Facebook and email. No one is looking at the corners. No one cares that the focus is off in some of them; in fact, I seem to be the only one who notices that. People ask me how I got such rich colors.The photos made people happy.

All that said, two things really hit home.

One, the pianist told me that the big camera I used to bring made her nervous, but this one doesn't.

Two, one of the little girls said, "remember when you hit me in the head with that big camera?" (I accidentally clunked here with the lens shade on a bit 2.8 zoom). She lets me take her photo again.

Sometimes pictures are just about capturing memories, and the pictures, like the memories don't need to be perfect. The XE2 is a great camera to take to party. It works well in low light, the focus hits most of the time, and with auto-ISO and aperture priority, I can keep snapping away, even when I've had too many hot buttered rums.

Happy holidays all.
Rich

BTW, I don't want to post the photos of people here, but feel free to view them on my smugmug site: http://richcaccavale.smugmug.com/People/Lon-and-Wendy-Holiday-Party-2013-1

Just please, no pixel peeping

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow