Response to Anders W and a few comments re E-M1 and A7

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?
Re: Whose humbug?
In reply to Anders W, 9 months ago

Anders W wrote:

I did a quick analyses of the jpeg and found the amount of vignetting to be in the vicinity of the value reported by photozone (1.9 EV at 10 mm and f/8 on the NEX-7) provided that you used the standard tone curve shown here

I believe you more-or-less nailed it. I shot a sequence of images .3EV apart, and compared the center of the correctly exposed shot to the extreme corner pixels of the progressively over-exposed images.

At about +1.7EV the corners exceeded the center. So the vignetting must be somewhere between 1.3 and 1.7EV (I am assuming it's typically measured as the worst possible case, the difference between the center and the average of the four very furthest corner pixels - I have no idea; if it's a weighted average using other points in the frame, it's going to be very a different figure).

I will send you a PM with links to a couple of RAWS (DNGs) for your perusal. One from the NEX-F3 and one from the NEX-7 both (hopefully) shot with the same settings under the same conditions. The NEX-7 image looks considerably more vignetted. Assuming the NEX-F3 is ~1.5EV, I'd be shocked if the NEX-7 is only 1.9EV.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow