A7/r owners: your advice would be much appreciated!

Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
A7/r owners: your advice would be much appreciated!
Dec 27, 2013

Hello to all A7/r owners,

Being myself in a long process of pondering all the pros and cons of the A7/r before ultimately getting one of those cameras I have been drooling for since their announcement, I have come to the conclusion that I will primarily use the A7 (or A7r - still not decided on that) as a high-ISO-capable FF body for manual focus lenses.

I love to shoot photos indoors, at available, low light, without flash, e.g. at parties. My current setup witht he Nex 5N comes to its limits around ISO 800-1600, where visible noise starts to creep into the images. So, I would like to have something of similar size (I know, the A7 is somewhat bulkier, but still as close as it gets to the tiny size of the 5N) that would provide me at least 1-2 full stops more of high-ISO performance. In other words, I want that camera to be able to take very nice  shots at ISO1600 shots and provide still acceptable IQ at ISO 3200. With the 5N, ISO 800 is perfectly fine, ISO 1600 is still usable, but not really preferred.

My plan is also to acquire some additional very fast manual primes, one in the 20+x mm range, one at 35 mm (not sure on that one though, still I already have the CV Nokton 40mm f/1.4), one 50 mm and perhaps one 85 / 105 mm for portraits.

That being said, I would very very much appreciate some words of advice of you happy guys who already got your hands on either the A7 or A7r. I have two  questions for you:

1. Is there finally some consensus about whether the A7 or A7r is going to have less problems with legacy manual focusing glass? With less problems I mean less corner smearing, CA, and overall IQ compromises. So far, I have gathered some mixed reports about that. Based solely on DxO sensor rating, I tended to lean towards the A7r, but being now very clear about using mostly oldish legacy lenses, I think it would be a waste of sensor resolution. The ONLY case I would really go for the A7r was if it had a substantially better low-light / high-ISO performance compared with the A7. But is that truly the case? Here I would really want to consider your real-life experiences or opinions.

2. Which fast legacy lenses with the above mentioned focal lenghts (I need a wide-angle in the range between anything 21-28mm, perhaps a good, fast 35 mm, a very fast 50 mm, and a very fast 85 or 105 mm) would work optimally when attached on the A7 or A7r? Are there any recommendations? With "optimally" I mean that the lens operates at its own maximum IQ without being compromised by any weird sensor-related physical constraints. I think I am primarily interested in Canon FDn glass, but anything else with adapter would be just as welcome. I am NOT interested in Leica or other super-expensive glass, just saying. There is just one thing: the lenses need to be as fast as it gets

Thanks a lot in advance!

David

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow