Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?

Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 487Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, Dec 27, 2013

I have had the G1x for about 18 months, and truly like it. However there is a bit of a learning curve to get he most from it. I don't find the focus all that slow, for a compact camera, and the lens is truly excellent. The high ISO performance is also impressive, you can shoot at ISO 6400 without any concern about noise.

However you have to learn to compensate for the lack of close focus , that means even for portraits at 3 feet you will need to activate the closeup function if you zoom even slightly. When using external flashes there is an annoying lag after shutter release, before the flash fires. Doesn't happen with the built in flash, which is not very powerful, and will drain the already low capacity battery.

But for DSLR level image quality, I don't think any other compact comes close to  the G1x. Its truly unique.

Carry extra batteries, remember to activate close focus early, use high Tv to stop action, and not rely on it to  focus quickly on moving subjects.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow