Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rxplsb3
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Problem of PC not recognizing WD my Passport 1TB
10 months ago

I have had this particular WD my Passport 1TB external hard drive for years and it has worked perfectly on all of my Windows 7 laptops. Suddenly, it is not recognized by any of them even though when I plug it in via USB, the light on the drive comes on and I can hear the disc spinning inside the case. I would be assuming the drive was dead except for one peculiar thing. If I plug one of my other WD my Passport external hard drives first (I have many, some 1TB and purchased at the same time as the problematic one and a 2TB one) and then plug the problem one into a second USB port, the problem drive shows up! If I then unplug the "good" drive, the "bad" drive still works until I unplug it or restart the computer. Then I have to go through the process of plugging in a good drive followed by the bad drive to use files on the bad drive.

Any idea of what is going on here and how to fix it? I hate to travel with 2 drives just so I can make the other work.

Thanks!!!!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow