Why do reviews criticize the AF on the A7?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do reviews criticize the AF on the A7?
In reply to MattLangley, 9 months ago

MattLangley wrote:

daqk wrote:

A7 is plain slow on AF, tried in camera store, hated it very much, never would buy one.

Try one by yourself before buy. Outdoor might be ok, indoor sucks.

My indoor isn't bad at all. Not perfect but still very usable.

"Painfully slow" is very subjective, so it's hard to say whether you're seeing the same thing or not.

Indoors, under mediocre light, I'm seeing about 1 second, maybe a bit less, to go from MFD lock to lock on another subject 2 to 3 meters away. The focusing seems to be quite accurate under these conditions. I'm set to center focus at the moment. If I set it to wide or zone, it seems faster, but it's also much more likely to focus on something other than my intended subject.

1 second to me, to get an accurate lock, is perfectly reasonable. To others, it may be painfully slow. Keep in mind there are those that can't stand the half second it takes to switch from LCD to EVF. I'm much slower than those people... in fact, it takes me half a second to be ready to look at what I'm seeing in the EVF anyway.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow