Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel81
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Focusing Question with Nikon D610 and 85 mm F1.8 Prime Lens
Dec 27, 2013

I just purchased the Nikon D610 body.  I only have one FX lens (I had been using with my D90) (and now of course, have to begin the process of building a full frame lens collection!).  I have been out shooting with my 85 mm F1.8 prime FX lens and the new D610 body.  I often shoot at the F-stop extreme end this lens enables (1.8, 2.0, etc) because I like shallow depth of field and Bokeh.  But I am finding with the new 610 that more often than not, the field that is in focus is not the field I wanted to be in focus (like, for example, with my dog - her neck fur is in focus, but not her eyes or nose as much) - even though I have taken care to aim the AF focus points at my intended focus field.  Somehow the camera seems to be 'choosing' to focus just shy of where I thought it was choosing to focus.  I know at f1.8, the sliver of focus field is pretty small so there isn't a lot of leeway, but I don't think I had this problem nearly as much with the D90 - which I think only has 11 rather than the D610's 39 focus points?  Perhaps they are distributed differently or the automated protocols for choosing is different between the D90 and the D610.  Does anyone have any advice on how I can trouble shoot this?  Are there programmable options I need to learn about on the D610 to redirect the Autofocus protocols?  Thanks.

Nikon D610 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow