Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419Gear list
Like?
Re: New DSLR or Mirrorless?
In reply to fevan, 9 months ago

in my opinion only....

Mirrorless competes, but its still not quite the same as a dslr. I won't go into gory detail because this will already be too controversial and I'm going to get a lot of flack, but in my experience Mirrorless costs more for similar image quality, isn't as good at high ISO, and has a somewhat limited and expensive lens selection compared to DSLRs, especially if you choose a brand without IBIS.

Despite all that, what went with me to Hawaii this year?.... it was the Panasonic DMC-G5 - my Canon T3i stayed at home. Image quality is basically the same up to ISO 1600, and it's a real pleasure to use compared to the Canon; it took about 1/3 less room in my carry-on, too. I did not find myself limited or frustrated except at a very dark luau that I suspect would have stymied the Canon anyways.

In other words:
IMO mirrorless does have some compromises and limitations - but in many situations they don't really matter that much; and the size and overall high quality of mirrorless offerings can be quite gratifying (and addictive!).

Colin.
--
unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow