Can static electricity wipe out images on card????

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
T Nels
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Can static electricity wipe out images on card????
Dec 26, 2013

I took about 50 images yesterday with my 5d3during our families Christmas celebration.  This afternoon I took the CF card out of its slot and as I slid it into my computer I heard a spark from static electricity.  It's dry this time of year and around here with the cold winters, a little static when touching various objects isn't too uncommon.  What followed though, I have never experienced.  There were no readable images on the card.  I then took the SDHC card out and slid it into the computer.  No static and the images were fine.  I've been shooting with my 5d3 for a little over a year.  Also have a T3i and had Xsi before that and I have never had this happen.  I have had the 5d3 set to record to both cards.  After reinserting both cards back into the camera, I took a shot in the house to test the CF card.  It recorded just like it normally does and I transferred the image to my computer without issue.

Have others had this experience?  If so, I REALLY now understand the value of two card slots!!!  I would hate to have that happen after a wedding or portrait shoot, especially if not recording to both cards simultaneously!!!!!!!

Todd

T Nels's gear list:T Nels's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow