Is the D610 a Significant Upgrade Over a D700?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
Re: For what it maybe worth...
In reply to Rob Tomlin, 9 months ago

Rob Tomlin wrote:

Thanks for some excellent responses.

The way that I'm reading this is that I would get some benefits from the D610 over my D700, but I'd actually be taking a step backwards in a few areas as well.

Better dynamic range is certainly a plus that I would enjoy. More resolution would also be nice. Sounds like higher ISO performance is only slightly better. But to actually have a downgrade in AF ability (even if slight), and a consumer type of body instead of the pro feel of my D700, I'm thinking that upgrading to the D610 from my D700 doesn't make much sense.

I think this really goes to show what a breakthrough camera the D700 really was, given it's been on the market for more than 5 years.

If I'm going to upgrade, I'm probably going to need to look closer at the D800 despite the huge file sizes.

I think your assessment is really fair and makes it clear what an awesome camera the D700 was for it's time.  I own one and it is very easy to see why so many others LOVE this camera.  It is also clear to me why prices on the used market really haven't dropped a whole lot.  In short, used D700s are going for more than used D600s...and some of those D700s have been used heavily.

I bought mine used and the thing is a tank and always nails the shot.

That being said, I could not move to a D600; between the lack of AF point spread, AF speed, exposure bracketing frames to name a few things.  It does have pretty much the same fps as the D700 but to be honest if I had to choose between that and AF quality...I'd have to go with AF quality.

So that would leave me with the D800 that gives me everything the D700 has plus more...except for the fps speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow