Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.

Started Dec 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
DrGoon
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.
In reply to Len_Gee, Dec 26, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

Just wanted to mention she is more of a fashionista, and concerned about how she would look with a cool retro-like camera when she is attending social events.

She's in her 20's and never shot film but thinks the Df looks like an old film Nikon F (?), and Fuji X100 look like Leica M3 (?). To her, both look "cool".

Maybe Fuji X100 is more suitable since it is cheaper than Df? I sirmise she doesn't know the difference would be since Df has better IQ than X100.

But she also expressed going further in the future with photography.

And yes, she is in the Fashion industry.

I think that the Df would have way more cool play at social functions in the fashion industry. It's a serious camera, as very many people in her industry will know - it's capable of producing the same sort of files that grace the industry magazines, provided that you hand it to one of the magazine photographers. It's also a newer camera, so it has that wow factor. Since it's so new she's unlikely to be upstaged by somebody else who has the same camera but who knows how to pose with 'da grip'. In the lighting that she has to deal with at fashionista events, the Df will be very useful - it's a great camera for natural (or stage) light. The camera can operate perfectly well as a highly capable advanced point and shoot and produce lovely snapshots, or should she persevere it will work very well as a camera for learning the technical side of photography.

Also, if she hates the camera or if something new and shiny with more cool value comes along next year, you could end up with a cheap Df for yourself. All in all, I'd recommend that she buy one.

DrGoon's gear list:DrGoon's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow