m43 "style": pancake zoom + prime lenses or typical pro zoom?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marcello Zini
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
m43 "style": pancake zoom + prime lenses or typical pro zoom?
7 months ago

Hi all!

I'm looking for opinions to help me to make a decision, here's where I come from. I started digital photography with a Sony f717 then got a Nikon d70 which was I used with a good zoom, although not wide enough, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and some primes for events with low light and/or additional flashes. I like to shoot a bit of everything, from portraits to events to street to general trip photos.

One thing I understood about me is that, whenever I am walking with the idea of taking any interesting picture of whatever, I don't like to switch lenses (maybe because I dropped my Nikon 85 1.8 once), while it's fine for me to change lenses in a more controlled environment where I can place my bag somewhere safe to fully concentrate on the shooting.

By the end of summer 2012 I decided to go m43 for the tipycal reasons mentioned on this forum and everywhere, so I started experimenting with lenses. Currently, I own:

E-m5 | Olympus 14-42 IIR | Olympus 40-150 R | Panasonic 14 2.5 | Panasonic 20 1.7 | Olympus 45 1.8 but I've owned and used other lenses including Pana 14-42PZ, Pana 12-35 2.8, Oly 12-50 and Oly 75 1.8.

Ok, here are my options:

1. Buy the new Pana 12-32 as a (mostly daytime) walk around lens, which would made me bring the em-5 anywhere and everyday in a small bag. This is, to me, the most interesting use of m43, always ready with fast prime lenses in occasions when quality must be the best (for MY style, FF wouldn't really improve results as even aps-c with 50mm 1.4 would always give too little DOF for 99% of stuff) but the 12-32 may be slow at times

2. Buy either the 12-35 or the 12-40 which would make the combo not so portable but with high image quality and good speed. This way shooting quality and experience is as good as it gets but, considering that the em-5 has that stupid hump, the thing becomes almost as big as a small dslr and makes me question why I went m43 in the first place.

Well, after all this ranting I'm looking for opinions and ideas to help me decide, what do you think? Can you add food for thought?

Thanks and have the best of holidays!

-- hide signature --

...slowly building my gallery at
http://picasaweb.google.com/marcellozini
Marcello

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow