Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
Df vs. D800 at ISO 12800
Dec 26, 2013

Last night while shooting at a party at higher ISOs wit the Df, I came home and looked at photos to find that I was VERY happy with the Df sensor even at fairly low ISO, such as 500.

Still, I ran a quick test at ISO 12800 to see for myself what's up...

Obviously I resized these and they are straight OOC.

Sure, the Df has the edge in noise and edges and D800 has some detail loss, but really...that can be tweaked and if you're not worried about a big workflow, you can get a good pic out of the D800 at 12800 in some situations. It's VERY impressive when you remember that you have 36 mp.

But looking at the Df image there's a whole other ballgame at work. The Df image is CORRECT. It's MUCH closer to the actual colors and there is simply NO WAY to tweak the D800 WB to be as good without a lot of PP. Add to this that the Df is managing this in bad mixed lighting and I'm even more impressed. The D800 is wrong on the color of the statue, the black paint and the green melon. It's a mess by comparison.

But even at ISO 500 I noticed how solid the WB and overall IQ was with the Df last night. I though it was mostly infatuation with a new toy until I did more testing/shooting.

I kept shooting, looking at the LCD and then back at the actual scene, impressed with how right the colors were.

More details coming!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow