Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VincebusMaximus
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Am I crazy for considering a Canon?
Dec 26, 2013

I shoot with a D800, and love almost everything about it. Big collection of lenses, all full-frame. My backup camera, a D300, doesn't get much use. I sold all of its DX lenses except the 17-55 f2.8, which is a great piece of glass.

I don't get a lot of video projects, so I wasn't concerned about the drawbacks of shooting video with the D800 (mainly, run-and-gun just isn't possible, at least not for me). I haven't been shooting as many sports gigs, either, so I wasn't concerned about the slower burst rate.

But video is coming more into play for me. Small projects, nothing to warrant a $3000 camera. Most of them are web projects (YouTube videos, covering events for clients, etc.)

So I've been reading about the Canon 70d, and how it's really the first DSLR to nail continuous focus in video. Ratings are very positive, it gets high marks for noise handling. And being a crop sensor, it would get me the reach of my D300 but with more mp to work with.

Got me thinking - $1500 for another DSLR that I can use chiefly as s video and sports camera, and also as a better backup camera than my D300.  If I sold the D300, the lens, grip, and extras I have for it, that would be a significant chunk of change towards the Canon.

Anybody else done anything like this? What is the major pitfall of living in both worlds? I don't use Nikon software for PP, I use LR, so no concerns there.

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow