full frame fuel - what can you make of this patent?

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Nothing, really
In reply to VaLeX, Dec 26, 2013

VaLeX wrote:

I've just spotted this patent:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-01-08

It's a Ricoh 60 mm F 2.8 Macro, full frame with image stabilization. Two issues that amaze me:

Yes, that one came up a few months ago. The patent is, basically, some unique design option in construction of a 60mm macro lens for an FF sensor size, and in Ricoh's opinion it deserves to be patented — rather than borrowing a different patent from an other optical company.

- Ricoh branded lenses? Is this something new?

Only an individual and legal corporate entity can apply for a patent. Pentax is just a brand name — not a legal entity. So Ricoh and Ricoh Imaging can apply for patents, but Pentax cannot because it is not a company.

- Is this a possible indicator of a Ricoh-Pentax full frame in the future? I don't know what to make of the info and comments poorly translated from japanese. Is this a lens for the 645 system?

It may mean anything and nothing. Ricoh Imaging is an optics company, and their daily job is designing everything and anything re optical formulas for different sorts of things, from security cameras, to photo equipment lenses, etc.

For example, during the 80's and 90's, Asahi Optical was selling its multicoating patent application process to virtually all optics companies (except Leica for a little while) and was steadily collecting royalties through it.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow