Wanted to sell the 18/2 but now not so sure ...

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,374Gear list
Like?
Wanted to sell the 18/2 but now not so sure ...
Dec 26, 2013

There has been quite a hype on various internet platforms regarding the 23/1.4 Fuji lens. Must say that I am drooling over that lens too.

I bought my E2 with an unwanted 18/2.0 lens attached, I thought that since I already own an 18/2.8 (as in the 18-55 zoom) and the 18mm didn't always get good reviews, it was a no brainer to sell that lens.

So in order to get this baby onto an online auction, I took some pictures. Well, lets say now I am not so sure anymore regarding the sale, the lens is certainly much, much better as to what I had expected and my question then would be, how much shallower DOF and how much better bokeh at a longer focal range would the 23 get me, maybe I actually quite like the 27mm equiv @F2.0?

Sooooo ... in case somebody has both, what's your take on those 2? I am aware of the differences and more interested in the different rendering, highlights, sharpness, bokeh etc. Maybe somebody who has sold his 18 to get the 23??

Mounted onto the X-E1 and RRS BH-25

X-E1 18/2.0 @ F2.0 1/550sec ISO200

The 18mm is hardly a macro lens, but you can get really, really close (18cm or .. wait ...7") here is a 100% crop:

100% crop @ F2.0

100% crop @ F4.0

Processed in Capture One 7 Pro

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow