Pentax FA 31mm/1.8 AL Limited performance

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax FA 31mm/1.8 AL Limited performance
In reply to monoblocks, 8 months ago

monoblocks wrote:

I am a new comer with Pentax. I had recently bought a K3 after using very briefly a Nikon Df and Canon 6D. In spite of being an APSC format camera, I think K3 is a better choice for my need. I love standard lens and right now I am now using new Sigma 35/1.4 HSM on my K3 and find it totally satisfactory. However, I am also keen to know the performance of the Pentax lens. My question is : how is the FA 31mm/1.8 AL Limited compared with the Sigma? The only issue I have with Sigma is its weight and size, can the smaller Pentax gets as good results ? Apparently, Pentax is upgrading its line of lenses, or shall I wait ?

-- hide signature --

monoblocks

I have the 31mm and my copy is really sharp from F/2 and up.  At f/4 and F/5.6 the images really have a special look to them if I'm at the correct subject distance.  It is becoming my most used lens for my K-3.  That said, if I had the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 I'm not sure I would trade it in for the 31mm LTD.  If Pentax does release a FF I think the Sigma 35mm will be the better choice for the FF sensor.  For APS-C though the 31mm is a jewel of a lens given its size and image quality.

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow