Pentax FA 31mm/1.8 AL Limited performance

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax FA 31mm/1.8 AL Limited performance
In reply to John Cafarella, Dec 26, 2013

You're going to get some great replies on this one!

The FA31 is one of the most respected lenses in the lineup, it has achieved.. wait for it.... LEGENDARY status.

It is one of the "Three Amigos" the FA31,FA43 and FA77 Limiteds.  I don't have the 31 myself, but I have the other two, and they are fantastic lenses and all have an amazing look and feel to the shots taken with them.  The 43 and the 77's only fault is that they suffer a little from fringing, I believe that this a consequence of the same design decisions that make the pictures look awesome but I'll let others that have first hand experience advise you if the 31 also behaves like this.  In any case lightroom does a good job of neutralising it in most cases.

I don't believe I have ever heard anyone say that they are disappointed in the 31.

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

Lenstip is disappointed in it. A couple of users each on both pentax forums and kakaku.com are not impressed.

However, the vast majority seem to thoroughly enjoy the 31.

To the OP, if size/weight is that big of a deal, I would think you should go for it, but if you think you're going to get some kind of uber-sharpness out of the 31 in comparison to the Sigma, you'll probably be disappointed. Most people seem to like it for it's build quality and "rendering." From the pictures I've seen, it has particularly smooth out-of-focus background rendering.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow