Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fuesting
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
New E-M1 Owner, Have Some Questions For The Experts
8 months ago

New E-M1 owner here, as of well, today.  I received the camera along with the Olympus 40-150mm

I have the new 12-40mm  on order as well, but its backordered for who knows how long.

I'm a novice photographer that is learning manual, but defaults to auto.  My logic in choosing the E-M1 was the following:

- weatherproof system

- as compact and light as I can get without giving up controls and lenses

- affordable top-tier lenses

- an all-around good performer for all kinds of photography

Please bare in mind that I am at the absolute ceiling of what I can spend.  I even broke that ceiling to get here, which required me to sell a few prized watches.  So, I can't just get this lens, that lens, and whatever instantly.  Initially I need a good walk around camera, but the basis for a great system in the long term.

That being said, I guess my first question is..

Have I made a mistake with the choice of the E-M1?

Is the 12-40mm a good "most situations" lens with the absolute best sharpness?

Should I return the 40-150mm (I'm not wowed by it but I could be using it entirely wrong)?

I was thinking I should immediately rent a few lenses from some of these rental sites to find a lens I really like, but I hate wasting money.

Last question:  As a novice, is there a pretty good way to tell if my camera body is performing correctly out of the box?  I don't have a great lens, and I don't know what I'm doing as compared to most posters on this site.  The only noticeable problem I'm incurring is the E-M1 is losing its time when the battery is removed.  I've read I need to leave the battery in for multiple days to correct this.  I've read these "shutter shock" and other type of problem forum posts and they are scaring the you-know-what out of me.

Thanks for your input.  I apologize in advance if I don't respond to everyone.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow