Finding inspiration. Or just to practice.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 417Gear list
Like?
Finding inspiration. Or just to practice.
7 months ago

I just got my first camera and I'm having trouble finding inspiration of things to shoot. For some reason I'm only drawn to open landscapes. However when I look at other people's pictures I like a wide variety of photographic styles. To help me not only shoot landscapes, what are some good ideas of things to shoot?  What will help me improve?

I realize it is a pretty vague question.  I guess I'm also just asking how do you get into photography?  Im having some issues with light. I like the look of a good bright sun or a sunset, but not much in between, but with it being winter I am getting a lot of cloudy days or just lower light days with a weaker sun. Are there any tips for making that look good?

Second, nature isn't at its peak right now.  The leaves are off most of the trees and things are brown and sometimes white with snow.  I want my pictures to look like pro pictures, not something that someone just took on vacation and posted for their friends on Facebook. When I'm better I can start showing people but right now I've only got 2 sets I like, and a lot of that is just because I had a dramatic backdrop.

So give me some ideas of things I can take pictures of. Specific things. You name it and I can find it. I don't think I'm ready for people but anything else is fair game. Things I can make look good at night ate very welcome also.

What did some of you start with?   I don't have any kind of a background of point and shoots or using my phone camera. I just have never taken pictures.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow