ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ellioto1
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
x-e2 manual focus, camera freezing, billingham hadly small
Dec 25, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have been an avid reader of dpreview for many years, but this is my first posting.  I am a professional photographer and own a Nikon D3, D800, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, and 105 2.8 (all g series)  My favorite photography in all is personal work and it is getting difficult to always carry my system with me.   Typically, I walk around with the D800 and the 14-24 (love wide angle) and I have plenty of flexibility to crop if I need to.

I spent a long time looking at the fuji x system and decided the x100s wasn't for me as it wasn't wide enough.  Once I have to spend money on an adaptor to make it a 28mm, it just wasn't worth it.

I bought the x-e2 with 18-55 and the 14mm..Originally, I was going to wait for the 10-24 but it is just too far away and too big - I might as well carry the d800 with the 14-24.

I bought two metabones adaptors for the camera.  One to convert with a 1.5 factor and one 1:1 with gaining a stop.  My intention was to use the 11 for my 28mm and 85mm and the 1.5 for the 50mm to make it close to an 85mm but a smaller size ( have no idea when the 56mm 1.2 is coming out.

I have several questions

1) the other day i was using the 50mm and I had a lot of trouble with focus peaking in manual mode..It wasn't clear when it was in focus or not..I know in other threads people mentioned magnifying the focus area, but I couldn't figure out how to to do that.  When I hit the + or - on the back it meant to drive and other menus.  I like to shoot wide open so focus has to be precise any ideas?

2)  with fuji lenses when I want to move around the focus point (don't like to focus recompose) i have to hit af first to move around the focus point ..That is very irritating.  Is the ir any way I can just move around the focus point?

3)Several times, the camera is freezing up on me.  Even when I turn the camera off, the lcd is still on and I have to remove the battery and put back in to restart.  i have the latest firmware.  Does anyone else have this problem.

4) I concur with everyone else that fuj need sto let us have evf for shooting an dlcd for viewing.  In street photography it gives me away to easy and it drains the battery.

5)  I bought two camera bags - billingham hadly small and the thinktank mirrorless 20.  On the billingham I keep the 18-55, 14mm and the 50mm with metabones attached.  I was diappointed there was no shoulder pad bought the billingham beautiful but expensive.   What really is missing in a handle on top.  Has anyone modifies theirs without ruining the bag? If so, how did you do it.

the thinktank I use the 14mm and the camera with kit lens and my blackrapid metro strap.  I took gaffer tape and covered up the thinktank logos to look more low key.

Thank you for indulging me with all my questions.  I look forward to your response.  Happy Holidays.

Elliot

ellioto1's gear list:ellioto1's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D3 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow