Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Not a dud.
In reply to newlens, 7 months ago

I like the design, and the technology behind it is top almost.

I carried an x100s every day for six months, it made great images, but in the end, it was too slow for my style.

I've replaced it with a Dƒ as I have lots of Nikon lenses, and I wanted something smaller and classic. I really love it, having written reviews both here and on my blog, but it is NOT a good deal at nearly $3000, except the sensor, which is the same as the D4 (top level pro camera that costs twice as much). It's not at all as small as the x100s, but it's just much faster in all aspects of photography: starting, focusing, processing, shooting.

Image quality of the Dƒ is better, especially in low light. The focusing system is a step down from the professional cameras, but more than adequate (again, lots better than the x100s).

Size and price: x100s wins
Features, speed and image quality: Dƒ
Design: Salt and pepper to taste

They both look good, but the x100s feels cheaper in some ways. The Dƒ is not too heavy, and I think some people take that to feel cheap, but I consider it a benefit. The finish of the metal parts of the x100s and Dƒ are very similar, but once one looks at details, the Dƒ comes out on top. The x100s top knobs are a bit more polished from the usability standpoint, i.e. how to set shutter speed and aperture. From the back, controls and menu, the Dƒ wins hands down for quality feel and logic.

And don't forget, the x100s will never have another lens, with the Dƒ, you can use the whole stable of Nikon glass.

Neither of these are beginner cameras, and will take some learning.  The x100s may be a tiny bit simpler in overall operation for beginners, if that's important to you.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow