Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.

Started Dec 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858
Like?
Well...
In reply to Len_Gee, Dec 25, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

Is Nikon grasping for straws with the Df?

A non-geek friend who is a fashion designer is enamored with the retro styling , and Nikon imaging reputation.

She wants to upgrade from a Canon S95 P&S. Her choices are Nikon Df or possibly looking at Fuji X100s.

She will use for travel vacations , and social type photos.

The reason I ask is because she researched a couple of online photo review sites that said the Df is a dud:

Reason:

Too expensive@ $2800+. Poor value for money spent.

Poor ergonomics. Better to go with conventional Nikon DSLR (But she does not like the styling too much.)

Thanks for any advice I can recommend to her.

Given her lack of background in photography, her intended use, and cost, I would say that if she were my friend I would advise her to buy an X100s. Super image quality, retro style and fairly simple operation at half the price of a Df.

If she insists on a DSLR, and doesn't mind modern looks then she might be better served at looking at a D3200 kit. Just my two cents, but why would someone with no experience want to drop $2000-$3000+ on a FX DSLR? but then maybe she is considering it to be a Fashion statement.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow