Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
Re: Deciding to buy a GX7 over an E-M1
In reply to Ricky JJ, 8 months ago

Ricky JJ wrote:

Hello!

This month I decided it's finally time to upgrade my GH2.
I was set to buy either the GX7 or the E-M1. I spent a few days pouring over reviews, and finally decided to buy the GX7.
This is what made me decide:
Bypassing the super hype for the E-M1, I couldn't find enough differences in IQ and features to justify the price difference. I payed $728 on the GX7 body, while the E-M1 was $1400. With the price difference, I was able to buy a nice lens (The Pana 25mm 1.4) and still have leftover money.

From what I gathered, the image quality and low light performance is pretty much the same. The E-M1 has in body stabilization (which the Gx7 also has, though not as good) and weather sealing, while the GX7 is more compact and does better video (something I value).

Am I wrong? Do you think I made a good decision?? I couldn't find anything that really justifies an almost 700 dollar price difference, and the GX7 still seems like an awesome camera for my needs!

For a main camera, I think you made a good decision.

I have the E-M1 and bought a GX7 to add as a 2nd body, combined with a 20 1.7 to be a carry around everywhere option while the E-M1 saw main work and planned shooting sessions.

I'm boxing up the GX7 to return right now.

Don't get me wrong, the GX7 is a great camera, just not as a 2nd body for the needs that I wanted.

For the close to $1300 for the GX7 (black kit with 20 pancake), I wasn't going to use it as much as I thought, and to have a 2nd body that expensive and so feature laden felt like a waste to me.  I felt almost bad having it and not using it.  It's like owning a BMW as a everyday driver and you're looking to buy a car to take to the beach.  You go to to the beach maybe 5-6 times a year, so buying another BMW seems like a waste to sit in the driveway for 360 days a year.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow