Deciding between X100s and Ricoh GR V: What a nice problem to have.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Deciding between X100s and Ricoh GR V: What a nice problem to have.
9 months ago

Hi,

For you reading this that will feel an intense urge to defend your precious X100s here is my tip for you: leave this thread right now because I will somehow trash the aspects that in my opinion are bad in the camera. But if you want to help a stranger decide about his new camera continue on.

I am seriously on the fence for one x100s and a Ricoh GR V. I would like to have a camera where I don't need to worry very much if it's robbed.

I have already the reasons for the Ricoh: cheaper, more pocketable, less obtrusive and all black.

And the reasons against the Ricoh (which are mostly the ones in favor of the Fuji): no evf (or ovf), 28mm is too limiting (fuji is 35), high iso isnt as clean (while 3200 is very good in x100s).

So the reasons I have not gotten one are *yet*:

-Low light auto-focusing: How does it compare to an OM-D Em-M5 with a Panasonic 20mm? Or to an A7r with the 35mm? I saw few videos where people complained that the X100s has more misses than hits if it tends to be dark. I shoot mainly at night and my friends Ricoh does fairly well in that regard but sometimes I get few misses.

-Pocketable: I know it does not fit on jeans pockets. Period. No need to argue this point. But what about winter jacket pockets? Without the neck strap is it possible to fit it? I am scared of breaking some of the focusing circuits or the flimsy eye piece. Anyone with experience in this?

-Winter: It gets pretty darn cold where I live, -20c is not uncommon, has anyone had to use the X100s in this conditions? Stuck shutter or anything like that?

-Controls: I saw someone complaining about the "plasticness" and overall cheap quality of the controls. That they get knocked out of place (on/off for example) and back cover is very cheap feeling.

-"Yucky" silver: No worries I will gaffer tape it if/when I get this baby.

If you could help me out in giving me the facts as seen by you that have tried those cameras that would be great.
Looking forward for some factual and civil conversation.

Adm. Humper

Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow