ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sceptical1
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Purchasing Sigma lenses because they are better, not cheaper
4 months ago

Hi All,

This is a bit shocking. Until recently, I always purchased Nikon lenses. Earlier this year, I broke my Nikon 50mm 1.4, went down to the LCS to get another one, and was shocked to see the my longtime salesman (this is a real camera store, this salesman knows what he is doing, a former pro who still is part owner in a highly reputed studio, I have been purchasing from him for over 10 years) longtime salesman strongly suggest the Sigma 1.4. He told me the build quality was similar to the Nikon, with a similarly fast motor. He said it wasn't quite as sharp, but had (in his opinion) much better bokeh. He said take it and try it. I simply liked the Sigma better than the Nikon. It actually cost a few dollars more....... My salesman also suggested looking at the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens.

Then it got really interesting. I am slowly moving away from full frame to lighter cropped sensor cameras.(someday I will end up dropping DSLR's or getting even lighter ones) I have a D7000 and D7100 that I am now using more often then full frame. After buying the 50mm I wanted to look at the Sigma 35mm. I ended up purchasing this with the Sigma USB dock. This is not the first time this has been said, but this lens is simply better than the Nikon. (I am selling the Nikon 1.4 Ais) To be fair, I have not compared it to the newer Nikon 1.4g (and I would not have purchased this lens regardless due to the $1600 price, rather get a great used Nikon) Further, the USB dock works very well, improving an already great product.

Back to the point. Based on these two Sigma lenses, I would have to consider Sigma's new offerings as solid alternatives to Nikons. For me, this is a huge change in attitude. For new users without much cash this is welcome news. I imagine you will have to be very selective, but I noticed that Sigma has a new 17-70 2.8-4.0 lens that works with the USB dock. This is another one of the new lenses and, if the quality is as good as the new 35mm, it would be a great option for a kit lens replacement.

It is also good news for everyone, because if Sigma lenses improve to the point that they offer similar quality, it will put pressure on Nikon (and everyone else) to improve their quality or lower their price.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow