The fabulous Minolta 50/2.8 macro

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
Re: The fabulous Minolta 50/2.8 macro
In reply to kotmj, 4 months ago

kotmj wrote:

I can't believe they made such things in the 80's. I took shots at 2.8, 3.5, 5.6 and 8, at infinity of a distant forested hill. I then pixel peeped them. I could not tell the difference between a 2.8 and a 5.6, even at the edge of the frame (Sony A55, crop sensor). Stopping down makes no difference to the imaging performance.

I then compared it to the Pentax Super-Takumar 55/1.8. The Minolta 50 is sharper at 2.8 than the Takumar at 5.6. Far sharper. At 2.8, the Minolta mops the floor with the Takumar.

pics deleted

I think you will find it performs much better across the board then the Minolta 50 f/1.7 as well. It has a few things that give it an advantage. Designing a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 eliminates some of the issues required to make it two stops faster, those compromises exist even after the lens is stopped down. Second the Minolta was a more expensive lens, most of this cost is due to the more complex lens structure needed for macro corrections, but also allows for better quality control and other aspects of construction that make for a good lens. Third is that the super-takumar is an older generation of lens and was not as good a quality as the latter takumar lenses. (I think I got that right, my knowledge of Pentax lenses is lacking) Finally the super-takumar has to be adapted to the A55 and that can lead to corner issues, see Roger's blog posts at Lens Rental for more information on that factor.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/sony-a7r-a-rising-tide-lifts-all-the-boats

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow