Best CPU / GPU / Video Card / Computer system for the money (Photoshop, DXO, etc)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Best CPU / GPU / Video Card / Computer system for the money (Photoshop, DXO, etc)
4 months ago

My experience with all computer systems is they eventually become junk in 3-4 years so I avoid spending anymore cash on these items then I have to. As a rule, I like to spend under 1k for any new computer system with the expectation of it lasting 3-4 years.

So, that said, I was wondering what the best Photoshop computing items are out there for the money?

In all of the reviews and benchmarks I have seen for Photoshop, the best VALUE processor seems to be the 4770k always turning in Photoshop processing times either the best or nearly the best with only 2-3 substantially more expensive processors in the lead.

In regards to video cards (GPU and OPENCL), its not as clear cut. Some brand video cards work better then others and a better videocard doesnt always equal much better Photoshop times. In any event, its better to have GPU/OPENCL acceleration then none, but its debatable which cards turn in the best performance.

I found a refurbished Acer Predator with 32gb ram, 4770 processor and GTX660 video card for $900 on Ebay and was sold. The only upgrade I made was the installation of a Samsung EVO 250 gb SSD. It comes with a 32gb cache drive for acceleration, but my experience is that its better to go pure SSD for programs, system and booting. All of the other systems I priced out on various websites with 32gb ram were way over a grand and above what I wanted to spend.  There are top of the line gaming and dual Xenon systems out there, but I wasnt going to spend 3-7 grand on what will be junk in a matter of years.

I was thinking of replacing the video card, but Im not certain which video cards equate to much better performance. If Im going to spend 300+ dollars on a video card then my expectation is for much better performance that I can notice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow