Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
RX10 Reality Check: Coming back down to earth
7 months ago

OK, I have now come back down to earth from my initial period of RX10 euphoria.

The RX10 is indeed a great camera, but its IQ for still photography cannot compete with a camera with a larger sensor.

I took my GH3 with me for my latest photo assignment to cover a local museum.   I decided that I would avoid using flash, and just use natural light.  And to be honest, the 1 inch sensor on the RX10 just cannot compete very well at higher ISO's like 2000 - 3200.

What a joy it was to use my GH3 again, after using the RX10 these past weeks.  It is virtually the same size as the RX10, but is noticeably heavier.   I remembered how nice it is to have a swing-out articulated LCD, that is also a touch screen.  And boy do the JPG's at higher ISO look so much better when looked at closely.

Technically, I could still return my RX10 to B&H Photo within their 30 day return period if I wanted to say that I am dissatisfied with the camera.   But its video abilities have intrigued me enough, that even though I am not that impressed with its still image ability, that I will keep it.   This is one camera where it is truly the sum of its parts that makes it a useful tool.

Here are some pics from Tuesday's assignment, ranging from ISO 2000 to 3200:   All shot JPG with Standard Profile set to Contrast: 0  Saturation: 0  Sharpness: -1  Noise Reduction: -1

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow