D700 vs Df: same exposure settings but 0.9 stops file exposure difference

Started Dec 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Radu Grozescu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 vs Df: same exposure settings but 0.9 stops file exposure difference
In reply to DimLS, Dec 25, 2013

Now i finished a quick test with a grey card, indoors with sufficient daylight. I move the card to more and to less lighted areas and it seems from the histograms that the D700 file is a bit overexposed, and the Df is accurate. May be i will redo the same with stronger daylight to see if i get the same results.

So my initial concern is resolved i guess. Df is performing just fine!

There may be 2 aspects:

- real ISO of the cameras and

- the way the exposure meter works.

The third variable may be the processing in camera (picture control).

You can use a white piece of paper and fill the viewfinder to eliminate the measuring pattern.

Use the 50/1.8 at 1.8 (so you will have the same the real aperture value).

Use the same Picture control, measuring pattern and white balance (non Auto) on both cameras. Very important, because both Picture control and White balance have a visible effect on the luminosity of the image, so put them the same on camera, do not adjust them in software.

Now, if you shoot in Manual mode, same ISO (non Auto) same shutter speed and same aperture (1.8) on both cameras you will see the ISO difference.

If you shoot in A (aperture priority), same ISO (non Auto) and same aperture (1.8) on both cameras you will see the metering + ISO differences.

You can measure the tones in the image using Nikon View (or PS or other tools, including the histogram).

-- hide signature --

Radu Grozescu
http://www.RaduGrozescu.com
Corporate & Editorial Photography

Radu Grozescu's gear list:Radu Grozescu's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow