Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,068
Like?
Re: D700 vs Df: same exposure settings but 0.9 stops file exposure difference
In reply to DimLS, 8 months ago

DimLS wrote:

Thank you very much for your answers

Actually, i had set the Df with aperture ring setting, and d700 with dial setting. So after Horshack's comment, i redid the test using the aperture ring only. I also used Nikon 50mm f1.8 G (from the Df kit) on both cameras. I did an indoor test in ISO6400 and 200.

Results:

There is a much smaller difference in what i see in ACR latest version, of about 0.25 stops (not scientificly measured) in all sets of photos on both cameras with both lenses: D700 files were about 0.25 stops brighter.

The good thing is that Df looks indeed much cleaner in ISO 6400, even with 0.25 stops increase in ACR, especially in the dark areas of the image.

Another good thing that crossed my mind, is that the light meter tested in spot setting, makes exactly the same measurements on both cams. Its just the file exposure different.

Borg thanks. I do not understand what is baseline exposure compensation. Do you mean the fine tune optimal exposure in the menus? I guess not.

Anyway, it seems a bit strange that there is a 0.25 stops difference, except if its how ACR treats both camera's files. May be its a difference in the real ISO values vs the ISO settings value that have a normal difference between the 2 sensors. May be Nikon wanted this way because its easier with the Df to preserve the highlights in shooting conditions because the headroom for the dark is big for the Df.

Glad you got it sorted out. Iliah's comment about base exposure compensation referred to the raw processor (ACR/LR) adding an automatic exposure adjustment to every raw file it processes for a given camera model. I believe this is done to accommodate/offset biases built into the metering system of the camera model (some meter a certain EV away from expected middle grey), but Iliah will be able to explain it better

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow