After hearing all the arguments I just bought a low milage D700!!

Started Dec 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
After hearing all the arguments I just bought a low milage D700!!
Dec 25, 2013

I have been longing to get a FF Nikon body for a year or so, mostly to be able to use my old Ai converted manual primes at their native focal lengths. I have a D7000 on which I installed a Katzeye split image focusing screen, which works great, but I don't like the crop sensor with the old lenses.

I was put off buying the D600 by the QC issues, so I was waiting for the replacement.  When the D610 came out I was distracted by the rumors of the new DF, so I waited for that. Now that it is out, without any manual focusing aids (aside from the green dot) I am disappointed. And the fact that the focusing screens on any of the newer FF bodies are not changeable, by Nikon or any aftermarket company, is a major deal breaker for me. After reading all the arguments on this forum I realized what I had to do.

I found an immaculate D700 on ebay, with under 3K shutter count for $1500. I bought it, and immediately ordered a Katzeye focusing screen for it.

Now I believe I will have a high quality, made in Japan FF body, accurate manual focusing (or auto for my Nikkor 35-70 2.8d) and more than enough IQ for any conceivable use that I might find, including making exhibition size prints, if I ever decide to do that.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow