Is the D610 a Significant Upgrade Over a D700?

Started Dec 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?
I have had a D700 and now have D600
In reply to Rob Tomlin, Dec 24, 2013

Rob Tomlin wrote:

Been a long time since I've posted here. I've had my D700 since the camera was first released, so I've had it for over 5 years.

Overall I am still happy with the IQ that I get from my D700, but I was thinking that after 5 years that Nikon would have come out with a replacement that would provide improvements in most areas over the D700.

I'm not interested in the D800 because of the huge file sizes for those 36.3 megapixel images.

The D610 seems like the file sizes would be at least a bit more manageable. However, I rarely print larger than 11x14.

In what way would the D610 be an upgrade over the D700 beside the increased resolution? I know it has HD Video, but I have a dedicated HD Camcorder, so not sure how important that would be to me.

Any improvements in areas like AF? Is the sensor improved over the D700?

Seems like I could sell my D700 and upgrade to a D610 without having to shell out a lot of cash, but I'm still not sure if it's worth doing?

Thanks for any opinions on this.

To my mind the AF  differences are incremental in different modes..

The D600 (D610 is in essence the same camera IQ, AF and operation wise) is lighter (good or bad depending on your personal taste

Res is doubled and worthwhile only if you crop or 'want to' crop more from your existing D700 files

IQ is a personal taste too.. I like it a little more than D700 but a lot more than either the D700 or D300 i came from

Personally I could live with the D700 again quite happily ( was very fond of the high ISO ability).. but, barring the weight and lack of video.

If you like what you have already and not struggling for more DR perhaps, I'd spend some money on better glass if you are in that position.

my 2 cents

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow