Fuji did respond and fixed a X-E2 firmware bug I reported!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
Fuji did respond and fixed a X-E2 firmware bug I reported!
7 months ago

On the day when Fuji announced the Dec 19 firmware release for X-E1, X-E2, X-Pro1 and X100s, I happened to send a list of issues and bugs of my X-E2 to Fuji's marketing manager Mr. Kawahara.  He said he would pass them to the development team.

One of the bugs I found has to do with the EF-20 flash.  I used the EF-20 flash with an Omni Bounce diffuser with the flash pointed upward.

For some reasons, the exposure looked mostly alright with the XF23, but when XF18-55 was used, it always overexposed by about 2/3 of a stop.  It appeared as if the flash output was too strong.  Even it was alight with the XF23, I felt that it didn't quite get the balance of the ambient and the flash done correctly in this configuration.

So I asked Mr. Kawahara to look into this bug and improve the flash exposure some more.

Shortly after I reported this bug.  Fuji announced a delay of the X-Pro1 firmware release.  I don't know if this was a coincident or the Fuji development team saw the same EF-20 bug in X-Pro1 and needed time to fix it.

Tonight, I re-tested the above configurations, and now the exposure of EF-20 + XF18-55 is correct!  Not only that, the ambient/flash balance is much better now, closer to what I see with my D3s + SB-900.

The settings I used were ISO 800, 1/125, and f=2.8 or 3.2.

Interestingly, before the firmware update, when ISO 400 was used, there was more flash output and less of the ambient light in the picture.  Now it seems to balance much more nicely, much like using ISO 800.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow