Started Dec 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charles Ramsey
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Statistical DXO marking.
Dec 24, 2013

I'm not going to harass DXO mark they are a private company doing a good service. Still I wonder why certain sensors are not tested specifically the Foveon and others that have had the filters removed to take infrared or high resolution black and white. Also I want to know the equations of sensitivity of different size filters and the effect of pixel counts. So I have been looking at the exif data of simular photos taken by different cameras. This process could be automated by some one with the programing capability. It's nice if you can shoot identical photos with cameras one of which has been tested and one of which has not. I did this with 3 cameras I had on hand the Olympus tough TG 2 the Kodak Z1285 and the Sony HX100V. The Olympus sensor was half a stop better than the Sony, same size different pixel count and one stop worse than the Kodak, same pixel count different size and technology. The Sony was tested by Popular Photography. The difference between the 16 megapixel BSI Sony and the 12 megapixel BSI Olympus was exactly what I expected from looking at DXO mark data. The Kodak was a surprise they made good sensors. I expected the Foveon sensor to gather 3 times the light of a Bayer sensor. The exif data I have gathered so far have been indeterminate. I also expected an Infrared camera to be 3 stops better than a regular one. This turns out not to be the case so clearly there is something going on I don't understand perhaps it is poor quality cut off filters.

Kodak EasyShare Z1285 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow