A 40-150mm compact zoom - anyone?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: A 40-150mm compact zoom - anyone?
In reply to shutter2533, 9 months ago

Hi,

Have a look at the size of the Sigma HSM 50-150mm f2.8 zoom. That's the nearest I could think of to your suggested FL range.   It's no small lens, even though it's APSC specific.  I guess being fast-ish doesn't help reduce size.  Or have a look at the old MF Nikon AIS 50-135 zoom.  Also not small, though that's a film (ie FF) lens.

If you were prepared to sacrifice the wide end and go for a 70-150mm f3.5 or f4 lens you might get a smaller lens - like the Nikon Series E 75-150 f3.5 zoom or, even better, the Pentax SMC M 70-150mm f4 which is smaller again.  They're only 112mm long, 400gms and take a 49mm filter.  (Plus adapter.)  Quite good too.  But unfortunately not AF........  I'd welcome a modern AF digital lens along these lines, but they seem to have disappeared from all brands.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow